Wednesday, 17 February 2010

A weekend to remember

So, it has been a few days, but wedding details have taken over! Anyways, the hen do was, as I said before, unbelievably amazing. I think my chief bridesmaid should start giving classes on how to be a brilliant bridesmaid - I know I'll be taking tips from her if I ever get the role.

She organised a night on the West End, including a scrummy meal, Dirty Dancing live on stage and our names on the guest list of a cool club that also played cheesy music and was therefore perfect for boogie-ing on down til the wee hours. We continued the party back at the hotel with a sneaky bottle of rose and an even bigger bottle of vodka - oops!

Next day was pretty much wrote off for most of us as the hangovers started to set in but I was whisked off all the same to a very sumptuous hotel - you know, the type you would want to live in if you had the money, filled with blooming flowers, Laura Ashley style interiors and plush bathrooms - in short, beautiful.
It was here that I was treated to a champagne afternoon tea, complete with small triangular sandwiches, cup cakes, strawberries and cream and fresh, still hot, scones. The girls then raised their glasses and gave me a short toast which brought tears to my eyes and I know I've said this before, but I felt very loved.
Every one of them has been completely supportive over the past year, beyond my wildest dreams and I could never have gotten through all that MS has thrown at me without them.
The toast was a reminder that no matter what life throws at us, having friends who care is priceless.

Next on the agenda was pizza and more bubbles in our room but they weren't letting me off so lightly. They had requested I wear a pink dress and I had duly done so, while the rest of them were wearing black dresses with a hint of pink on their attire - lovely touch I thought, not too tacky, just nice. Boy was I in for a shock when 'chief' produced a bright pink feather boa, long black gloves, a 'bride-to-be' sash, 'L' plates, a mask adorned with even more pink feathers and the icing on the cake, a headband complete with pink willies! But I took it all in good humour - nothing else for it really!

They then started a round of Mr and Mrs - with a twist. They asked me questions and once I had answered they produced a lap-top with J giving his answers on a video camera. The amount of effort they had gone to was unbelievable. Thankfully we didn’t do too badly – proof that we are really made for each other J

A comedy club followed, where I hid at the back and hoped the comedians wouldn’t pick on me, and then another reserved area in the club. Again we danced til our feet hurt and I went home with a huge smile on my face.

I had braved my high heels on night one but gave them up for comfort on night two – a wise choice as my feet survived quite well! Now back home, it’s just over two weeks until the ‘big day’ – how that came around so quick I’ll never know – and I’m trying to pace myself. My feet were a bit sore on Monday but that’s because I didn’t stop all weekend, and I’ve learned a sore and sorry lesson. This weekend you’ll find me laid up watching films and taking it easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment